Thinking about taking the leap and starting your home renovation project? First it is important for you to know the project timeline and everything necessary to guarantee your project is completed flawlessly and in a timely manner. This article contains everything you need to know about creating a home remodeling timeline.
Below are 5 crucial steps of the timeline you don’t want to miss.
Step 1: Hire a Builder and Architect.
- The first step of your home remodeling timeline is to hire the right team. After making the final decision to move forward with your project, the most important thing to do is hire a builder and architect. The builder and architect will help determine the plans, budget and construction schedule. Do you have a strict budget or are you more flexible? Your builder and architect will be able to break down and explain the cost of each section of your project. They will also walk you through everything you need to know regarding the length of your project timeline. Another great resource is to read through a previous post of ours, 3 Tips On How To Budget For Your Home Remodel Project.
Step 2: Hire a Designer.
- Once you have found your builder and architect, move on to finding the right designer for you and your project. Your designer will help select the materials such as plumbing fixtures, tile, countertops, cabinets, paint finishes and lighting. In case you missed it, check out my recent article on Top 4 Things To Look For In An Interior Designer. This resource will help you think through how to find a designer to work with. Here, you can learn more about the process and how to find the best and most qualified designer for you.
Step 3: Determine your Finish Out.
- The third step in your home remodeling timeline is a critical one. It is also critical to work closely with your designer at this step because the items that you select (tile, countertops, cabinetry and architectural details) are the decisions that will make your design goals come to life. Working closely with your designer at this point of the project is crucial if you want the finished result to live up to your expectations. Plus, they can guide you throughout the entire process. Check out the below before and after shots of the living room in a recent home remodel project we completed. As you can see, the materials selection and design details make all the difference.
Step 4: Schedule Walk Throughs.
- Some people are shocked to find out that often times during a construction project, many decisions will be made on-site. It is important to schedule regular meetings and walkthroughs with your designer and builder. This way, you stay up to date with the progress and feel confident that your renovation is running smoothly. During these walkthroughs you will have the opportunity to ask questions, so it is important to come prepared.
Step 5: Finalized Design Details.
- Lastly, you get to see your vision come to life! Finishing touches such as the carpet and rug selection, hardwood stain colors and hardware placement are some of the last but most important steps in your renovation project. Making the decision to remodel is a big one and it can be a long process. While it can be exciting to reach the end point, don’t rush this part! You will find that the options are endless, and you want to feel confident about your end result and the pieces you selected. The below before and after shots are of the breakfast table in the same home we showed above. As you can see, these projects are completely transformative!