Are you interested in remodeling your home or dabbling in other home renovation projects, but not sure where to begin? Does the idea of remodeling your home seem overwhelming and intimidating? Unsure of how to plan for the unexpected? This article is for you!
In my current video series on home remodels, I am covering all of the basic information you need to know for a successful renovation project. This series will discuss everything from the initial planning to the design phase to the full execution of the project. To tune into the video series, follow me on Instagram, @rozmurphydesign. You can also find a host of other useful information on a successful home remodel project right here on my blog.
Be sure to subscribe in order to stay updated on all the new information being released! Now, let’s dive into the very basic things you need to know before beginning your home renovation project. Here is a shortlist of 3 things to do before you begin.
Determine exactly what it is you want to do.
- If you are considering a home remodel project, the first thing you need to do is clearly define what exactly it is you want to do. For example, do you want to completely remodel an outdated bathroom starting with a fully clean slate? Do you want to update your kitchen or implement a simple refresh? Or perhaps you are looking to renovate multiple rooms within your home, or even the entire house. This step is helpful for clearly outlining and articulating your goals for the remodel project. This step will prepare you to speak with builders, contractors and your interior designer, who will help you plan and implement the entire project.
- In the case of a bathroom remodel, it may require a full tear-out of existing bathroom appliances and finishes such as the cabinets, bathtub, shower and sink, and starting over with the bathroom design from scratch. When updating your kitchen, you may be happy with the overall layout and its functionality for everyday living, and only interested in updating the paint, finishes and backsplash for an elevated look. However, you may want an entirely new structure to your kitchen, increasing functionality of the space. This type of project will be much more involved than a refresh of your existing design.
- There are even some situations in which you’re looking for a full home remodel to bring a more modernized and elevated look to the entire home. Regardless of the size and scope of your project, having a clear understanding of everything you want to do in each room is imperative. This will help you effectively communicate with builders, contractors and your interior designer during the planning phases of your project. This step is also critical for prioritizing and understanding the budget required for your project.
Research information on builders and contractors in your area and look for reviews and rates.
- For anyone considering a home remodel project, it is imperative to conduct due diligence by researching and reviewing information on local builders and contractors. If you are someone who already has an interior designer, chances are your designer will have a list of preferred contractors he or she has worked with in the past. This provides an existing basis of trust and reliability with all major players on the design team.
- If not, it’s possible you already have a trustworthy builder or contractor you’re familiar with and in this case, lucky you! Carry on and proceed to the next item on this checklist. For those of you who do not already have a trusted resource for builders and contractors, and also do not already have an interior designer, you have a few options available to you. For starters, you may want to review my article on what to look for when hiring an interior designer.
Find a professional interior designer to work with.
- This step is arguably one of the most important steps in the pre-planning phases of a potential home renovation project. If conducting a home remodel is new to you, you may not be aware of the significant level of value a qualified interior designer can provide. Interior designers are on the cutting edge of the latest styles and trends available for the home. Additionally, designers have access to the most coveted information in the industry. They have intimate relationships and connections with furniture manufacturers, art suppliers and other vendors of home appliances, finishes and products.
- Lastly, designers have the expertise required to pull all of these elements together and match them with your individual taste and needs within the home. This helps to produce a design that is both beautiful and supportive to the needs of you and your family.